The ruling factor in depression is the belief that rules you. If in your heart of hearts (not your intellectual or mental beliefs) you believe that you live in a world that rejects you, or that God doesn’t really care about you or doesn’t love you as He does others, or that your life is worthless or meaningless, or that only bad stuff happens to you, or that when you get hurt or suffer loss there is no end to the pain and no good thing really comes out of it…then your heart will naturally feel depressed and heavy.
And it should–if that is the kind of world your heart believes you live in. It would be a denial of “reality” to feel good about being yourself and living in such a world. Anybody whose heart believed those things would feel the same way.
But that is not the universe you live in—if you are a believer in Christ, you have been translated out of that awful, seemingly god-forsaken dimension of reality the Bible calls the kingdom of darkness (where many of those things are true for the unredeemed) and has translated you into the kingdom of His beloved Son.
Let’s try to understand the reality that we live in now.
- Deeply and affectionately loved by the Father—always, at every moment
- Completely forgiven and covered with grace and mercy
- That same power of forgiveness is available to you for you to be set free from every hurt.
- Everything will actually be made to work for your good, whether you believe it or not.
- Your best Friend is with you and will never leave you or forsake you.
- The greatest Teacher in the world is working with you to help you grow.
Believing these great Truths even just a little, will make you begin to feel just a little better. Learning how to believe them a lot will make you feel a whole lot better!
See more about the Power of an Active Faith